Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Southern Belle

Ever since I was very young {smiles} I've loved old-fashioned clothes, especially Civil War style dresses. While living in Georgia, my family went to several reenactments and I always loved seeing the full-skirted costumes! So what could be better than making my very own? And a new sewing machine was a perfect reason in and of itself, don't you think? :-) So last November I embarked on this new adventure! Many hours later plus an important lesson learned (more on that later).....


Viola!
Please pardon the photo-edit job. The original background wasn't too pretty so I kindly removed it. :-) Unfortunately I had to return the dress form due to a part breaking so I can't retake the photo.
And now for specifications....
The dress was made using the Simplicity Pattern 7212. I ordered the lovely fabric from Gehmans Country Fabrics.
The sash was made from online instructions {scroll to the end of the page} from Sense and Sensibility Patterns.
The hoop skirt I left to the skill of others and purchased it from Angel's Bridal on eBay. This model, in particular.
The brooch {not pictured} was made by me, and I will show you how in the next post!


P.s. Oh yes, the lesson. These scissors are great cutting button holes, clipping threads, etc. but mine can also jump off the ironing board, landing on the peaceful seamstress sitting next to it. I made friends with many butterfly bandages.... and learned to always, always keep the plastic cap on when not in use!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! Lovely dress, I've always wanted to wear a hoop-skirted something. :)

jen said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I should send pics of my daughters civil war dress from 8th grade! The 8th grade classes have an elaborate civil war enactment and the girls all dress up and look so gorgeous!

Gabrielle Joy said...

How lovely! It looks really complicated! I am finding out what that really means(complicated) when it comes to making your own patterns. lol! Keep up the lovely work!
Love Ya!
God Bless!

Kristy said...

Thank you everyone for your kind compliments! Yes, it was a complicated project, but good experience. :-)

 

Made by Lena